The market town of Laakirchen, covering a total area of 32.5 km², is situated at the entrance to the Salzkammergut region, embedded in the gently rolling landscapes of the Alpine foothills.
The city Laakirchen is situated in the Prealps at the entry to the Salzkammergut lake region and spreads over an area of about 32,5 square kilometres. The city consists of the main villages Laakirchen, Steyrermühl, Reintal-Danzermühl, Oberweis and Lindach. According to the most recent investigations, the name Laakirchen goes back to the 12th century and most probably derives from the geographical setting of the old settlement (“laa” meaning small forest, hardwood). The first mention of Laakirchen was in 1165. The town is situated on the former horse railroad which used to connect Gmunden with Linz and Ceské Budejovice. The modern infrastructure (two highway exits: Laakirchen WEST EXIT 216 and Laakirchen OST EXIT 213, freight train connection) and a pleasant recreational environment make Laakirchen an attractive location for business and investment but also living - Laakirchen provides jobs for more than half its population (ca. 9250 inhabitants).
Laakirchen counts two paper mills, four metal-working companies as well as about 260 businesses. These and the residential areas make up 6.5 square kilometres. The remaining 26 square kilometres used for agriculture and forestry (175 enterprises) constitute a pleasant counterbalance to the busy areas. The beautiful landscape invites to undertake long hikes and bicycle tours.
A sports and recreational centre, cultural events in the modern venues, a visit to the Printing and Paper Making Museum round off his varied offer.
All this contributes to make Laakirchen a pleasant, dynamic and innovative community.